Friday, July 19, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor


A throwback to the younger days!
ShilohThis book was my all-time favorite book growing up, well this and “A Dog Called Kitty” by Bill Wallace, so  needless to say I was a little apprehensive re-reading this because what if it wasn’t as fantastic as I remembered it?!
Well, it wasn’t as fantastic as I thought it once was, but it still is pretty darn good for what it is; in my humble opinion.
First a little synopsis is needed. Shiloh is about a little boy Marty who finds a young beagle wandering around. Turns out this beagle is owned by redneck Judd Travers, who loves hunting and kicking his dogs. A well-loved character that’s for sure.  Anyways the beagle, who Marty has named Shiloh runs away from the evil man.  Marty’s parents basically tell him, no we can’t afford a dog, plus the dog is owned by someone else – even if that some else is a dog abuser, we can’t keep him. So, Marty does what any other kid would do and hides Shiloh.  Well things happen that you can assume make the secret come unhidden.
While reading the part about keeping Shiloh in this hidden pen, and how Marty was surprised at how quiet this beagle was being, all I could think of was “Why can’t Tobi be quiet?” “Is my childhood love of this book the reason why I adopted a beagle?” “My dogs dumb compared to him” 

All in all, it was great to throw back an easy read and have a throwback to my elementary school days. However, reading this made me just wish we didn’t adopt a beagle who eats carpet.
 
And here is a picture of Tobi:
 
 
We Garett picked a winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment