Friday, August 30, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Waking Up Married by Mira Lyn Kelly


Waking Up Married
Goodreads synopsis:
Her first thought: "Who are you?"
It's the morning after her cousin's bachelorette party in Vegas and Megan Scott wakes up with the mother of all hangovers. Even worse, she's in a stranger's penthouse having woken up with something else as well - a funny, arrogant, sexy...husband!
Up until now, finding even a boyfriend had seemed impossible - been there, got the broken heart, sworn off men for good. Then a few martinis with Carter...no, Connor Reed and she's gone from first meet to marriage in one night!
Megan wants a lawyer.
But Connor's shocking bombshell?
"I don't want a divorce."

2 stars, maybe 1.5

Okay.  This book was a netgalley read. It sounded like it could be intersting and be a quick little mindless read. It was mindless alright. But it garnered 2 stars because I felt like I needed to finish it to see whas was going to happen.

I can't stress how unbelievable this book was.  Two single people, Megan and Connor happen to meet up at a bar in Vegas, and after too many drinks ends up marrying eachother.

This is not how it was. As here Ross and Rachel were both shittered.
The kicker is it seems only she was drunk and that Connor had this partnership figured out. She is the logical one being like ' shit, Connor, we need to get a divorce stat.' and he's all 'no you wanted to marry me last night, I will convince you that this was a good idea'.  First off... SHE WAS DRUNK!  I mean, I was drunk on my wedding day, but I at least knew what I was getting into. And another thing, she said the ring was at least 10 carats worth of diamonds! ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!? 10 carats on someone you just met and drunkenly married. Really? Maybe like a gumball ring would be more suitable.

Anyways, another reason why Megan wants to get a divorce (cuz the first one isn't enough) is that it doesn't fit in with her plan. No shit. Her plan by the way it to go to the sperm bank and get knocked up that way because no one else wants to have a baby with her. Okay, I get it sometimes you want to be a mother and waiting for the right guy just doesn't seem plausible and I'm all for the women power...but come on.

Then there is Conor. Who apparently is this big shot rich dude, who just wants a wife that would obey him, follow him to his obligatory social outings. And there must be no love. Sex yes. But no feelings. I guess Megan fitted the bill to be part of this partnership. Not marriage. Partnership, because apparently Connor lives in the 18th century.

Megan is painted as this stupid women who is insecure and can't stand up for herself if someone is swinging their penis. Even though she is self described as a strong, independent women. Like come one. If a partnership isn't what you want and you want to have a loving marriage, then have the balls to have that. And Connor, what is your problem? Its a marriage not a god damn job. Why are rich guys all asshats?

It just wasn't realistic in any sense. You meet someone, You get drunk. You get married. You wake up, down some Advil and chocolate milk and make your way to the nearest lawyers to get your ass divorced. You do not say "hey, lets give this 3 months to see if your drunken mind actually knew what she wanted" and after 2 months you do not say 'lets have a baby'. 

There were a lot of face palm moments during the trail period too, that I won't get into. I'm just glad they never actually said how old these two morons were.  At least they ended up together. *PUKE*


I think I need to stop reading Harlequin Romance novels.  They make me so angry.

No comments:

Post a Comment