Tuesday, February 2, 2016

BOOK REVIEW: I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson

At first, Jude and her twin brother are NoahandJude; inseparable. Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude wears red-red lipstick, cliff-dives, and does all the talking for both of them. 

Years later, they are barely speaking. Something has happened to change the twins in different yet equally devastating ways . . . but then Jude meets an intriguing, irresistible boy and a mysterious new mentor. 
The early years are Noah’s to tell; the later years are Jude’s. But they each have only half the story, and if they can only find their way back to one another, they’ll have a chance to remake their world. -goodreads

4 stars

This book turned out to be pretty good.  I was worried at first and was about to call it quits,  but after reading some reviews and a lot of people feeling the same way I decided to keep going. And I am glad I did. 

I'll Give You The Sun is divided into two parts/perspectives, Noah - the past  (13 year old) and Jude - the present (when they are 16) . I like how this was done as it gives you a deeper understanding of the characters and the dynamics of their twin bonds. Both are very talented artists and are trying to cope with growing up. Noah, the drawer is very withdrawn - mainly because he has a secret crush on a guy. Jude on the other hand is very popular, trying to fit in. In the present, the roles have reversed - Noah being popular and Jude becoming shy.  And I am glad I kept reading to find out why this switch of personalities happened.  The dynamics between the characters are written wonderfully, the only part that got on my nerve a little bit in the beginning was the mumbo jumbo (not a wonderful word I use) with all the ghost grandma talk - it was a little bit annoying to me. But other than that well done.

I give it 4 stars as I wish my like for it started right at the beginning.   So if you are reading this and are contemplating about quitting,  keep going. 

“We were all heading for each other on a collision course, no matter what. Maybe some people are just meant to be in the same story.”



Next up on the 2016 reading challenge - A Book recommend by a friend - Life After Life by Kate Atkinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment