Tuesday, April 16, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien

The Hobbit (Middle-earth Universe)
Hmm… I hate saying that the movie was better than the book. But this is the case. The whole time I was reading this, I kept thinking of the movie. Which,I think is fair given that the movie is  visually appealing. However, once I got to the part where the movie ended, I seriously thought about giving up the book and just waiting for part 2. This is not a good sign for a book.
I do get the appeals  of Tolkien. His imagination was superb. And at the time, there really was nothing of that matter. I mean, he even made up a language.  The songs pissed me off though. I'd much rather have dialouge than lyrics.  Maybe they contained pertinent information, but I didn’t read them after the first one.
I did really like Bilbo Baggins character though.  He was this little scared, never goes out of the norm hobbit. Being convinced to go on this adventure, all the dwarves doubted him. In the end though Bilbo was the one to bring success to the adventure. It seems like the dwarves just gave up and always seeemed to need saving.  Thorin seemd like an asshat. I mean, it was because of him that this grand adventure started, the least he could be was a little nicer towards someone who never even left his home before. Gandolf and Gollum are the only other characters I remember. 
I give The Hobbit 3 stars. It was ok.  For me, I would recommend watching the movie instead. It will take you about the same amount of time, and Peter Jackson did a great job  on it...
 I am debating on if I should read the Lord of the Rings triology now…
 

No comments:

Post a Comment